Thursday, December 20, 2012
The fire started Wednesday afternoon at a residence on County Road 101.
The Minnetonka Fire Department responded to a fire Wednesday afternoon on the report of a townhome fire in Minnetonka. No one was injured, but one person is left without a place to stay, according to KSTP. The fire started around 1:30 p.m. in the bedroom of the home in the 5300 block of County Road 101.
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Investigators now say careless smoking sparked the fire.
A fire that broke out at a St. Louis Park condominium complex shortly before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday—with temperatures near 100 degrees—put firefighters to the test, but no serious injuries were reported. The fire ravaged several units of the Natchez Place Condominiums, 4625 Minnetonka Boulevard, though firefighters were able to quell the flames fairly quickly. The fire was caused by discarded smoking materials on the deck of a second-floor unit, according to the St. Louis Park Fire Department. A Golden Valley firefighter was taken by ambulance as a precaution. He was released from the hospital Tuesday evening. Residents and firefighters were monitored on-scene for smoke inhalation, as well as heat exhaustion. Fire crews from Minnetonka, Saint …
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Minnetonka youth lauded by city, Fire Department for quick thinking that saved elderly neighbor.
Life hasn't changed much for 12-year-old Seth Eliason in the two weeks since he was called before the Minnetonka City Council to accept the city's Lifesaving Award. "Yeah, some of my friends have called me [a hero]," Eliason said. "Some of my parents' friends and teachers have called me that. Only if I've told them about what happened, though." Eliason thought he smelled burning wood returning from a trip to the video game store on the evening of March 22. But instead of ignoring the scent, Eliason sought out its source like a bloodhound, rushing from house to house on Woods Way. At first, it could have seemed like a false alarm — what looked like smoke coming from his next-door neighbor's house was only sweet-smelling dryer steam, he said…
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Late Wednesday morning the Minnetonka Fire Department responded to a fire on St. Albans Mill Road.
Just before noon today, Minnetonka fire crews responded to a fire that broke out in a condominium complex located at 3020 St. Albans Mill Road in Minnetonka. No injuries were reported. According to Minnetonka Fire Department Chief Joe Wallin, the two-alarm fire started in the bathroom fan of a second floor unit. “Crews found a rapidly spreading fire in the space between the second floor ceiling and the third floor,” Wallin said. Fire crews reportedly opened the ceiling to reach the fire and then were able to extinguish the blaze within minutes. Firefighters from Hopkins, Golden Valley, and Plymouth were also on the scene. Chief Wallin said that because of water damage, the unit where the fire broke out in not inhabitable.
Saturday, April 2, 2011
An afternoon fire, March 28 in Minnetonka called out firefighters from around the west metro.
On March 28, a two-alarm fire spread from one townhome to an adjacent townhome before being extinguished by firefighters. It had been initially reported that no one was injured in the incident. However a Minnetonka city spokesperson said Friday that one resident from inside that duplex was taken to the hospital because of injuries sustained during that fire. She was treated for smoke inhalation and released the next day. Just before 3 p.m., Minnetonka fire crews responded to a fire in the 17900 block of Comtock Road, just northwest of the intersection of Minnetonka Boulevard and County Road 101. On the scene, firefighters found the west unit of a duplex home on fire— the fire was specifically located in the wall between the two units. …
Friday, March 18, 2011
Minnetonka fire crews battled a 3-alarm fire on Friday afternoon. Neighbors report an "explosion" just before a house went up in flames.
UPDATE: According to the city, Minnetonka Public Works Department was contacted about the water runoff challenges and possible Lake Minnetonka impacts as a result of the fire and the measures used to put out that fire. In response, the city brought in heavy equipment and removed debris from the site. **** ORIGINAL STORY: Just after one o’clock Friday afternoon a large explosion rocked a Minnetonka neighborhood. The explosion, on the property of a local home that was under construction, reportedly sent flames flying, causing that home to catch fire. No one was injured in the explosion or in the 3-alarm fire that followed. The home, a total loss after flames completely consumed the structure, was located in the 16900 block of Grays Bay …
Monday, February 21, 2011
Clear off a fire hydrant and win cool stuff!
Minnetonka has more than 3,500 fire hydrants. We live in Minnesota—there is no escaping the fact that it’s going to snow soon, snow often and snow for months to come. So Minnetonka officials are reminding residents to clean fire hydrants of any snow or ice in the event firemen need to use them in an emergency. According to the city’s website, “Help keep hydrants visible and accessible all year long - the house you save may be your own.” Minnetonka Patch wants to help! So, to sweeten the deal, if you submit a photo of you either cleaning off a fire hydrant, or with a clean fire hydrant, we'll give you a free patch pen, tote bag or water bottle (the goodies in question may even be cooler than those). Send the pictures to me, at katelynn.…
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Want to know what the Minnetonka Police and Fire Departments were up to this past week?
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, February 5, 2011
The following is a weekly public safety update from the City of Minnetonka:
Friday, February 4, 2011
The Minnetonka fire department was called to a large apartment fire in Plymouth, early Monday evening.
Minnetonka fire crews were called to a five-alarm fire in Plymouth, early Monday evening. The fire reportedly started at the Plymouth Oaks Apartments, located in the 3300 block of Highway 169, around 5 p.m. No less than four Minnetonka fire trucks were at the scene. Minnetonka Spokesperson, Jacque Larson, confirmed that the Minnetonka Fire Department was at the fire for “mutual aid.” It is not known how the fire started but authorities said 24 units were damaged in the fire. On Monday night, one resident, who said she was too shaken to give her name, smoking a cigarette, described the first minutes of the fire, "I heard glass breaking and that’s when I looked up and saw flames shooting out of the window." She said she yelled for someone …
Thursday, November 25, 2010
The 2011 program meets Tuesdays through February and early March.
Minnetonka residents who want to learn about more about their local government works have signed up for the 2011 Minnetonka Citizen Academy. The program is run by the city and helps residents understand the inner-workings of local government. "We want people to know who we are and what we do," said Jacque Larson, Minnetonka community relations manager and organizer of the Citizen Academy. "This is a great setting where the residents are not upset about an issue, but are eager to learn about their city and how to go about correcting any future issues or problems." The Citizen Academy meets 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays in February and early March. The free program is held at City Hall and participants hear from employees in the police, fire, public …