The following was released by Hennepin County:
Commissioner Mike Opat of the 1st District was unanimously re-elected chair of the seven-member Hennepin County Board of Commissioners Tuesday at the at the board’s organizational meeting for 2013.
“I’m grateful for the support of my fellow commissioners,” said Opat. “I expect us to continue to be a busy and productive board in 2013. The Hennepin Board takes seriously our position as a leading local unit of government in Minnesota, and we look forward to the challenges ahead.”
Opat has served on the board since 1993. He represents Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, New Hope, Osseo and Robbinsdale. Opat has served seven terms as board chair from 2001 through 2003, and 2009 through 2012.
The board also unanimously re-elected Commissioner Jan Callison of the 6th District as board vice chair. Callison has served on the board since 2009.
Her district includes Deephaven, northern Eden Prairie, Edina, Excelsior, Greenwood, Hopkins, Long Lake, Minnetonka, Minnetonka Beach, Orono, Shorewood, Spring Park, Tonka Bay, Wayzata, Woodland, and northern Mound. Callison is a former mayor of the city of Minnetonka.
The board also established board committees and selected committee chairs:
• Budget and Capital Investment: Commissioner Jan Callison
• Public Works, Energy and Environment: Commissioner Peter McLaughlin
• Health and Human Services: Commissioner Linda Higgins
• Public Safety and Judiciary: Commissioner Jeff Johnson
• Libraries, Technology and General Government: Commissioner Randy Johnson
• Intergovernmental: Commissioners Linda Higgins and Peter McLaughlin
The board, acting as the Hennepin County Regional Railroad Authority (HCRRA), unanimously re-elected Commissioner Peter McLaughlin of the 4th District as chair and Commissioner Gail Dorfman of the 3rd District as vice chair of the HCRRA.