Meet city staff and learn more about local government, as well as mingle with your friends and neighbors, at the Minnetonka Fire Department and City Open House Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Minnetonka Civic Center campus, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
Kids four and over can ride in city fire trucks, and everyone can enjoy free hot dogs, cookies, pop and lemonade along with department tours and entertainment.
Plan your evening of activities:
- Take a tour of the Minnetonka Police Department’s jail and visit with members of the city’s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team. (Police Department)
- Get moving with activities sponsored by Recreation Services. (Community Center lower level)
- View this year’s photo contest entries and vote for your favorite (Community Center lower level)
- Ride in a fire truck. (Fire Station)
- Sit inside heavy equipment from the public works department and enjoy a treat (Community Center south entrance)
- Enjoy musical entertainment. (Community Center, upper level)
- Visit the House of Germs and learn how to stay healthy. (Community Center)
- Browse displays from city departments and boards and commissions; as well as community organizations. (Community Center lower level)
- See woodcarving demonstrations (Community Center upper level)
- Snack on free refreshments, including all-beef hot dogs and pop (5–8 p.m., Fire Station) and cookies, popcorn, and lemonade. (5–8 p.m., Community Center upper level)
Bike to Open House
Avoid the parking hassles and bike to the Fire Department and City Open House. If you do bike, please remember the sun sets earlier this time of year. Be sure to wear light-colored clothing if you’ll be biking in the dark, and have the proper lighting on your bicycle.
The city is embracing organics collection and is pleased to offer it again this year at Open House. Look for the organics collection bins around the campus, and toss in your leftover food, napkins, paper cups and plates. All food and food containers offered at the open house can be thrown in the organics bin. Recycling bins will be available for cans and plastic bottles, and trash cans for any non-compostable, non-recyclable items. Please help make this event environmentally friendly by taking the time to sort your compost, trash and recyclables into the appropriate containers.