14 Hopkins Athletes Sign to Play in College
The students are going to a variety of schools across the country.
Fourteen Hopkins High School athletes signed to play at the collegiate level Wednesday, including two athletes who signed with Division I teams.
“I chose the U of M just because the whole team atmosphere, the whole cross-country team, is like one big family and it reminds me a lot of my team at Hopkins here,” Klecker said.
The following students also signed:
- Jared Allen, University of Wisconsin-Stout, football
- Alexa Cornish, Illinois Wesleyan, volleyball
- JT DenHartog, University of Minnesota-Duluth, football
- Emma DeRubeis, University of Wisconsin-Stout, soccer
- Chad Gannis, Gustavus Adolphus College, football
- Ty Johnson, University of Wisconsin-Stout, football
- Emily Koppe, Washington University in St. Louis, volleyball
- Lily Marcelius, University of Wisconsin-Superior, soccer
- Zac Merie, University of St. Thomas, football
- Chris Rozek, University of St. Thomas, football
- Sierra Saulsberry, University of Wisconsin-Stout, volleyball
- Maddie Youakim, University of Minnesota-Morris, soccer
The athletes have earned a total of 54 varsity letters while in high school. But they’re not just athletes. They have a cumulative GPA of 3.68.
“I’m so proud of the kids. It’s what they’ve worked for. They’re thrilled. They’re excited,” Hopkins High School Principal Patty Johnson said.