Have you been removing buckthorn, but wonder if there might be an easier way?
“Managing Woodlands: Buckthorn and Beyond” can help you get out and mark native species among the buckthorn before the leaves drop.
Attend one of two workshops, on Wednesday, Sept. 19 or Thursday, Oct. 4, 6:30–8:30 p.m., at the Minnetonka Community Center.
Topics covered include:
- Forest structure and diversity, and how it is affected by invasive species.
- How gradual, prioritized removal is usually better for a site than an understory clear-cut, especially if garlic mustard is present.
- Avoiding the most common buckthorn removal errors.
- Reducing erosion on slopes.
- How to save high-value remnant plant species.
- Recommended native species for understory reforestation.
This free workshop is hosted by Janet Van Sloun, city of Minnetonka natural resource specialist. Handouts will be provided. Register on the city's natural resources workshop signup page or call Minnetonka Public Works at 952-988-8400.